Nov 12: Familiar territories

Today I was up in Sheffield for a meeting at the Geographical Association. A long and familiar drive up the A17 which I have been driving up and down for over 30 years (at one point fairly regularly at weekends and later on a twice weekly basis when I worked up in Sheffield for the GA). It's also my route generally to Northern destinations.

Sheffield is a city I know very well, having been a visitor for over fifty years. It's changed out of all recognition in places, but there are some places that I know very well. One nice element was that I had a colleague who didn't know the city at all, so I could show her a part of the city which had changed a great deal and point out the things that she couldn't now see as they had disappeared: Whitbread's Brewery, the Hole in the Road etc.

Image: Alan Parkinson, shared under CC license...

Comments