Jan 27: Have I got news for you...

Many people will read a daily newspaper. This may include reading it on a tablet or smartphone rather than the walk to the newsagent, or listening for the delivery person in the morning.

Here's a Slideshare of a presentation I made some years ago, for a LivingGeography conference we ran when I worked for the GA as Secondary Curriculum Leader. It provides some ideas, some a little dated now for using a newspaper in the classroom as a resource. I'm still prone to using them, and this sort of practice has a long tradition.

Michael Storm, GA President in 1988 talked about his own Geography teacher back in the 1940s...

“His discursive and unplanned lessons frequently took off from an item in that morning’s ‘Manchester Guardian’; geography was about colonialism as well as commodities. I suspect that the biographies of many professional geographers probably contain such characters."

Comments